Pesticide Poisoning in Observation Hive
Posted on July 20, 2018.
Our hearts are heavy at GloryBee as bees from our observation hive suffer from pesticide poisoning.
Pesticides have become an agricultural staple, but unfortunately do serious damage to all insects, not just pests.
Pesticide poisoning can cause a variety of symptoms in bees, including agitation, paralysis, loss of control over wing movement, and inability to retract their proboscis, or tongue. Our bees are displaying all of these symptoms, and the hive is significantly weakened by the loss.
Though pesticides are designed to protect plants, most plants depend on pollinators. When pollinators are poisoned by pesticides, plants won’t be properly pollinated, and the entire ecosystem begins to suffer.
Bees will fly up to five miles to forage for pollen and nectar over a wide variety of plants. The only way to ensure they will not be poisoned it to stop the use of dangerous pesticides altogether.
Below are a few bee-friendly pest deterrents, so you can protect your garden without harming our favorite pollinators:
Use planet friendly soap diluted in water to keep bugs away. Put 1 ½ tablespoons of soap in 1 quart of water and spray on plants in the morning or evening to affected areas of the plant.
Diatomaceous earth is another great way to deter bugs without causing damage to pollinators. Sprinkle it around your plants to keep away bugs, snails, and slugs. Reapply as it disperses to ensure effectiveness.
A vinegar spray will also keep the bugs away. The strength of vinegar deters them from getting any closer. You can spray on affected areas of the plant, as well as the dirt for maximum effectiveness.
You can learn more about the effects of pesticides on pollinators at Pesticide.org/save_the_bees