How to Make Fondant
Posted on November 13, 2017.
- Large Stainless Steel Pot
- Candy Thermometer
- Parchment Paper Lined Cookie Sheets (2 or 3)
- Wire Wisk
- 10 lbs. of White Sugar
- 1 Quart of Water
- 1 Teaspoon of White Vinegar
- Stand-up Mixed or Hand Mixer
- Combine water, sugar and vinegar in a large stainless steel pot. Place on stove top set to medium-high heat.
- Heat until the mixture starts to boil and reaches a temperature of 235° F. Be sure to stir the mixture constantly as it heats to prevent caramelization. Boil at this temperature for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool to 180° F. To speed up the cooling process, you can place the pot in the sink filled with cold water. Stir the mixture every few minutes as it cools.
- Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl being extra careful as the mixture is still very hot.
- Mix with a stand-up mix or hand mixer set on medium-high speed until the mixture becomes opaque white and thick.
- Pour the mixture onto the parchment paper lined cookie sheets so that the mixture is approximately ¼ to ½ inch thick.
- Cool completely and then cut into 3” wide strips. Re-wrap the strips in parchment paper, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use.